Pages

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Geocaching - My Sons Newest Hobby




The Game




A little over a month ago Gavin discovered that his dad went to a Geocaching class and that doing it was was like playing a treasure hunting game. Right then he was hooked. Ever since then he wants to go do that with Ken as much as Ken will let him. Gavin especially likes the ones where there are little goodies inside to trade for other little goodies that he takes with him. 

The first three pictures are actual Danville Geocache photos. I know the first two were taken by my husband but the third one I got from the listing of the cache itself so I don't know who took it. The other photos are some examples of just a few of the types of containers that might be used. There are so many ingenious designs I'm frequently amazed at what I see next. Some people put little treasure hunting trinkets in them if they're big enough. Others just get a container big enough for a tiny piece of paper to be a log to sign saying you were there. You have to remember to bring your own pencils and such on the hunts. Of course the listings will have instructions. 

Ken just bought some containers so he can hide a few caches. We already have one, labelled good for kids. It's an extremely easy find. 

I love the thought of treasure hunting but I don't like hot weather, or real cold weather for that matter. So, I'll leave this hobby to the boys. They're having a ton of fun at it together. If you choose to start, find all you need to know about it at www.geocaching.com





No comments:

Post a Comment