Pages

Friday, December 7, 2012

A Blue So Dark

A Blue So Dark by Holly Schindler

This book gave me the title of my blog. There is a quote in it that I think really fits the scatterbrained person I am today. "Sanity is a sonnet with a strict meter and rhyme scheme - and my mind is free verse." You see, I called myself scatterbrained but it's really just "free verse".

By no means am I saying I'm insane. What I'm trying to say is that sometimes I feel that my thoughts are so scrambled everywhere at one time I can hardly focus on one thing at a time. I want to do too many things at once sometimes and all too often I end up doing nothing because I don't know where to start first. On the other hand, maybe I am insane.



ABOUT THE STORY

"Fifteen-year-old Aura Ambrose has been hiding a secret. Her mother, a talented artist and art teacher, is slowly being consumed by schizophrenia, and Aura has been her sole caretaker ever since Aura's dad left them. Convinced that "creative" equals crazy, Aura shuns her own artistic talent. But as her mother sinks deeper into the darkness of mental illness, the hunger for a creative outlet draws Aura toward the depths of her imagination. Just as desperation threatens to swallow her whole, Aura discovers that art, love, and family are profoundly linked—and together may offer an escape from her fears." Amazon's description


Aura is in over her head. She's not old enough to be mom to her single mother and still try to be the teenager in the house. She's afraid her mother's mental illness will be passed down to her so she'll go crazy too someday and she's miserable. The mother is a schizophrenic who has been off medications for a long time, either not realizing she needs help or refusing it. That causes some memory loss and occasional episodes when she acts really weird interspersed with other times that she's completely normal. When she's weird she can either be extremely happy or extremely angry for no apparent reason. Aura and her mother thankfully find help and can stay together.

The book is not easy to read because it is full of her anguish and pain. There are some lighter moments. I identified with both her and her mother, a little, so this book was especially good for me. Not a joyful ending, but a good one where you know every things going to be alright.



No comments:

Post a Comment