Pages

Sunday, September 30, 2012

Birthdays and Parties

Yesterday was my daughter Erin's 15th birthday. We spent ALOT of time together: time shopping at Wal-mart, walking around town and just hanging around the house without the guys. It was altogether a good daytime spent for us. We talked each others ears off. I'd say it was the most we've talked together in a LONG time without yelling and lecturing.

Of course, it being her birthday I did the typical remembrances of her birth. Just a few. I may have even embellished a little. Things like "at this time 15 years ago I was screaming at the top of my lungs GET THIS BABY OUT OF ME" and stuff like that. In actuality I had a really good epidural and, although uncomfortable, I didn't have much pain until the actual pushing and I WAS too busy to yell. I did eventually tell her that too. I told her the facts like time of birth - 6:29pm, height and weight - 8lbs 14ozs, 21inches. Every year I tell her these things and she wonders how I remember them. Of course they're just what mom's keep embedded in their brain forever. I can forget so many things but there are some things that are just THERE.

One thing that ties her together with Gavin's birth is that she was there to witness it. YES, she was 9 years old, but I deemed she was old enough and mature enough to watch the birth. I figured she would then decide that she would never want to have a child of her own. Isn't that cool! Seriously, I just wanted the family to all have part of the birth. My mom, Ken and Erin were all there. Gavin was Born October 4th, 2006. But today we are having his birthday party.

I'm being a little bit pouty right now. Only one person in Gavin's Kindergarten class has RSVP'd. Do people not do that anymore or is no other child out of 27 children going to come to his party? I'm so worried about this. This is the first real school party I've thrown for Gavin and I'm this anxious about it. I never had this much anxiety about Erin's parties. We had enough friends in Lexington that I knew almost exactly how many people would be at her parties, plus people RSVP'd. I'm out of my element here. Ken and I haven't been here long enough to have made many friends with the people in the area, especially the ones with kids Gavin's age. I have a few kids coming, including family so I know the party won't be empty. But it's Gav's first REAL party away from the house and I wanted it to be special. I'm sort of living vicariously through my children. I never had a party away from my house, EVER. I lived in the mountains where there was not many choices of places, if any, for parties away from home. Now I get excited about giving my kids fun times when I can. I just want them to have the most fun they can have. Gavin probably doesn't care one way or another. It's just me.

Whatever happens today for the adults I am positive the kids will have a good time. I'm now heading off to get the cake for Gavin and the party is in less than two hours. I'll update this later.

UPDATE:

Of course Gavin loved his party. What  kid wouldn't love skating, playing video and token games, getting to ride around in a giant skate and eating pizza and ice cream? He got plenty of well wishes and lots of hugs. That's all he needed to give him plenty of a rush and keep him up later than I would have liked. He did eventually go to sleep, but it was a good day and night altogether. His favorite gifts were his razor scooter and light saber. Now he can ride his scooter with the neighbors without borrowing one of theirs. The light saber is neat as it is a light up that does the sound and clash stuff. So, I'm pleased anyway that he has fun no matter what my hang ups are.

No comments:

Post a Comment